People have tried to solve this problem using data:

For instance, look at the following work :

A. Goyal, F. Bonchi, L. V. S. Lakshmanan A Data-Based Approach to Social
Influence Maximization<http://www.vldb.org/pvldb/vol5/p073_amitgoyal_vldb2012.pdf>
 In Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Very Large
Databases (VLDB 2012) ŠVLDB EndowmentAugust 27-31, 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:36 AM, mehrdad agha mohammad ali kerm <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I hope this Email finds you well.
>
> I'm Mehrdad, I have a question regarding my dissertation that I would be
> appreciate if you could help me and give me your comments.
>
> In my dissertation,I want to work on diffusion on social networks.
>
> In details, I want to develop an optimization mathematical programming
> model to maximize the diffusion of text message through selecting the
> best
> first contact nodes.
>
> My data are gathered from a real social network in a uni-sex university
> in
> Iran. The network are based on a mobile phone contact list data. In this
> data I have 162 nodes (students) and more than 3000 links.
>
> I have read some papers in this field as Kempe's one, Kimura's one,
> Chen's
> one or Lescovec's.
> I understand that in all works that have been done, there is not any
> mathematical modeling for optimizing this problem and they have proposed
> an approximation algorithm for optimizing the problem.
>
> Is it a novel contribution to develop a mathematical programming
> considering one of the the influence model such as independent Cascade
> that is fit to the real situation in sending text messages?
>
> I have a question, why did not any other scholars use the mathematical
> programming?
>
> Is it very complex? Or it has not any value?
> I am confused with my work, please guide me.
>
> I am looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Hemank Lamba
http://menetworked.wordpress.com/
https://sites.google.com/site/hemanklamba/home