You might be correct that we don't need another outlet. You are certainly correct that existing outlets can and should be improved. But the former sounds akin to saying "what's the value of Twitter when we have {telephones, texting, websites, blogs}?"

StackExchange (SE) sites have a completely different incentive structure for both asking and answering questions. I believe SE is more accessible in the sense that it's easier to start a specific discussion and contribute to it than in a wiki or listserv context. Wikis are actually a sub-feature of SE. Topic specific chat rooms are also a sub-feature. SE is peer reviewed. You can quickly get a sense for how knowledgeable a contributor is by his or her reputation score which is determined in part by peer review. And the new site will already be attached to a very popular collection of websites (i.e., SE).

I recognize wikis offer many of these advantages. But personally -- and I could well be a special case -- I find SE forums a bit more natural in their use and organization.

Thanks for your thoughts. And I hope to hear more.

-Nate