This evening, 1/25, I received a text from Cameron Cox saying that he had re-found the California Gull at Daytona Beach Shores. I was on my way over there and arrived in a few minutes. The bird was well north of Frank Rendon Park at about the 2200 block of Atlantic Avenue. The bird was very cooperative until a beach walker flushed the gulls.

Early this morning I went to the Shiloh Marshes of Merritt Island NWR to look for sparrows and found about 8-10 Sharp-tailed Sparrows in the salt marsh west of the gate at the end of the Shiloh Road and the gravel parking lot. I also had a flock of 17 Stilt Sandpipers here. Later, Adam and Gina Kent, Sarah Linney and I led a field trip to Smyrna Dunes Park and Disappearing Island in Ponce de Leon Inlet. We found 3 Purple Sandpipers on the south jetty. We also had a Peregrine Falcon and 3 cooperative Black Scoters, as well as a excellent showing from Piping Plovers, Red Knots and much more.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL