Fernandina Beach: After yet another grey and gloomy day, the skies opened
just before sunset and quickly filled with 1000s of robins passing south.
Starting about an hour prior to sunset, flock after flock passed overhead
along the marsh margin with most cruising under 200 feet but with an
occasional flock well above the lower stream of birds.  Despite this
evening's spectacle, it paled in comparison to the predawn "river of robins"
we observed last year streaming north over I-95 west of West Palm Beach.
That stream passed overhead for miles as we traveled south in the morning
gloom.  Concurrent with the arrival of robins on Amelia, have been legions
of cedar waxwings. One enormous flock perched on a long stretch of power
line near the beach along South Fletcher Ave. this morning. Once they
arrive, some CEWA will remain here well into spring and be among the last
migrants to depart north.

Pat and Doris Leary

Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Nassau County