Hello everyone,

Bohadschia certainly needs more work. We now have a pretty good idea about
the Pacific spp., but the Indian and Red Sea spp. need more attention.

Chantal, is there a ventral shot of this beast? The photographed specimen
resembles a form reported from Sri Lanka. Please see attached photo sent by
Chamari last year. I believe there was another record of this form from the
Indian Ocean, but I could not find the specific email. This form certainly
resembles the argus X vitiensis hybrid, but details appear quite different
from the argus X vitiensis hybrid. For argus X vitiensis hybrid, the
bodywall coloration is uniformly that of vitiensis, either brown or cream
on both dorsum and ventrum. Plus, the spots for hybrids are uniform in size.

As Gustav would say, a tissue sample and voucher specimen could tell us
much about this form..

Cheers
sun