MEMORANDUM

Date:                     March 18, 2014

To:                          Deans, Associate Deans, Department Chairs, Program Directors, Graduate Coordinators and Graduate Staff

From:                    Dr. David Mazyck, Professor & Interim Associate Dean, Graduate School

RE:                          2014 Board of Education (BOE) Fellowship Program

Greetings! It is with much pleasure that we announce the 2014 Board of Education (BOE) Fellowship Program, sponsored by the Office of Graduate Minority Programs. This year's program is scheduled for June 25, 2013-August 8, 2014.

We are asking for your assistance in identifying prospective participants in the BOE program. The BOE program is open to new PhD students that are first generation, minority or underrepresented in their major in graduate education. Please encourage all eligible students to apply!

Highlights of the Board of Education Summer Fellowship Program:

  *   Student preparation for graduate education here at the University of Florida.
  *   Assistance in acclimating students with the University of Florida and the Gainesville community.
  *   Opportunity for participants to network with faculty, staff and students from a variety of disciplines.
  *   Assistance with student academic preparation by offering courses in: (a) Academic Writing; (b) Statistics (c) Research Methods

Students receive a $1500 stipend during Summer B as well as a tuition waiver for required enrollment in four (4) Graduate credit hours.   Note that in most cases an individual study or supervised research will be necessary to provide an opportunity to review literature and to begin focusing on a research topic.

Applications and additional information on the program can be found on our website at: http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/finances-and-funding/florida-boe-summer-fellowship-program

If you have any questions or require additional information please let us know.  We can be reached by telephone at 392-6444 or email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Thank you for your assistance and commitment in retaining quality graduate students.  We look forward to your continued support of the Office of Graduate Minority Programs.