We are in the middle of somewhat similar research. Specifically, we examine
co-authorship network of authors and organizations publishing on terrorism (1992-2013).
The objective is to test whether structural characteristics of a knowledge system
correlate with research quality generated by the system. Our DV is research quality and
IVs include: organization country, organization type, funding agency type, language.
Three main one-mode networks analyzed in this study are:

(1) Authors collaboration network
(2) Organizations collaboration network
(3) Funding agencies collaboration network (based on agencies funding same projects)

We use a three point scale to assign quality rank  to each of the publications
(basically itís empirical vs conceptual studies). The quality is assigned manually
(based on reading the abstract, or the study when necessary).

Here is the example of hypotheses we are testing:

Heterogeneity of Research Structures (System) and Quality of Research per System: The
quality of individual papers is positively correlated with the number of countries and
languages per system.

Heterogeneity of Research Structures (Clusters) and Quality of Research per Cluster: The
quality of individual papers is positively correlated with the number of countries and
languages per cluster.

First, each network is analyzed as a whole(statically).  Then, the data is broken into
4-year unions in order to dynamically analyze and assess each union as an independent
network. We do assessment of each union as a whole and we do cluster analysis followed
by logit analysis etc.

So far our findings are as follows:

There is a positive correlation between diversity of clusters (esp. for organizations
and authors) and quality of research generated by these clusters. The strength of
correlation is much stronger at the system level. We see that if research teams are
homogeneous, but are a part of a heterogeneous system, they still can produce high
quality research. One of the variables that strongly correlates with quality is number
of ties per cluster. Which means that the more collaboration per cluster the higher is
the quality of generated research.

So yeah, thanks for sharing the article, Mark.

Best,
Alla

> FREEMAN: Ethnic diversity is an indication of ideas' diversity. People who are more
> alike are likely to think more alike and one of the things that gives a kick to science
> is that you get people with somewhat different views.
>
> GREENE: So avoiding group think is essentially good for science is what he's saying
> here.
>
> VEDANTAM: That's exactly what he's saying, David.
>
> It's not obvious to me as I read through this paper that names from different origins or
> names more geographically dispersed  lead to be better research papers.  Papers that are
> more widely cited?  Possibly, but using citations as an indicator of "quality" is
> questionable and may more reflect the wider connectivity that a more "diverse" author
> group provides but whether the paper has higher technical merit is not, again, not
> obvious.

Alla G. Khadka, PhD (c)
University of Pittsburgh
Graduate School of Public & International Affairs
3400 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Phone: (412) 482-6887
E-mail: [log in to unmask]