Hi Michelle,

I use ORA (already mentioned by Tracy). All you need is longitude latitude info, and ORA
puts your locations on the map and connects them (if your data is relational). It also
allows coloring your nodes by attribute values.  The advantage of ORA is that first you
can do social network analysis of your network and then visualize it on a map. Feel free
to e-mail me if you need more info.

Alla

> Hi Michelle,
>
> ArcGIS is widely used in spatial analyses, but you probably can’t just overlay these
> datasets and you may need transform these data.  Also, ORA has a geospatial component
> and may get you what you want—it may be more user friendly. Do you have the city map
> layers? You will need to make sure that all of your data points are in the same datum
> and projection and these data are entered in a way that the software can recognize in
> ArcGIS.
>
> Viewing your data points on a map is the first step, but all gets very exciting when you
> can actually run spatial analyses and integrate landscape-level information with your
> network data. For that, you need ArcGIS or some other spatial analysis software.  You
> can contact me if you want to discuss more.
>
> —Tracy Van Holt
>
> East Carolina University-Geography
> Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences-Visiting Scientist
>

> On Mar 19, 2014, at 2:27 PM, Michelle Anne Birkett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Is anyone familiar with combining network plots with some sort of GIS or geographic
>> mapping software? I’m working with neighborhood by neighborhood connections in Gephi
>> and would love to visualize this on an actual City map. Any resources you can point me
>> to would be appreciated. Software outside of Gephi is fine too.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Michelle
>>
>> Michelle Birkett, PhD
>> Research Assistant Professor
>> Department of Medical Social Sciences
>> Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
>> 625 N. Michigan Avenue, 27th Floor
>> Phone: 312.503.3538; Fax: 312.503.4800
>> Email: [log in to unmask]
>> www.feinberg.northwestern.edu

>> message.

Alla G. Khadka, PhD (c)
University of Pittsburgh
Graduate School of Public & International Affairs
3400 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Phone: (412) 482-6887
E-mail: [log in to unmask]