FREEMAN: Ethnic diversity is an indication of ideas' diversity. People who are more alike are likely to think more alike and one of the things that gives a kick to science is that you get people with somewhat different views.

GREENE: So avoiding group think is essentially good for science is what he's saying here.

VEDANTAM: That's exactly what he's saying, David.

It's not obvious to me as I read through this paper that names from different origins or names more geographically dispersed  lead to be better research papers.  Papers that are more widely cited?  Possibly, but using citations as an indicator of "quality" is questionable and may more reflect the wider connectivity that a more "diverse" author group provides but whether the paper has higher technical merit is not, again, not obvious.

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lubell, Mark
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 3:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Do diverse teams make better science?

Hi networkers:

Here is a really interesting story from NPR.  The claim is that more diverse teams make for better quality science, where citations=quality.  I have not read the actual study(couldn't find a link in a quick search...). But a major pushback from all the audience so far saying networks=citations.

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/21/292225798/does-diversity-on-research-team-improve-quality-of-science?sc=17&f=3

Mark Lubell, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Science and Policy
One Shields Avenue
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95618

Center for Environmental Policy and Behavior:  http://environmentalpolicy.ucdavis.edu/
Personal Homepage:  http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/lubell/
Twitter: @EnvPolicyCenter
Phone:  530-752-5880
Fax: 530-752-3350
Office: 2146 Wickson Hall

_____________________________________________________________________ SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social network researchers (http://www.insna.org). To unsubscribe, send an email message to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> containing the line UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.