Michelle,

I use R which has some really easy-to-use mapping tools.  In particular the packages "maps" and "maptools" should be a good start.  If you want to incorporate street-level background maps, then I suggest the packages "OpenStreetMap" together with "ggmap" - once you learn these tools you can pull in address lists.

In fact at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3257441/geocoding-in-r-with-google-maps
there is a nice little discussion of how to extract the latitude and longitude from any address in the world using the API at maps.google.com.  You can only make 2,500 requests per day, but with a bit of planning, you can work through an entire data set fairly quickly.

- Craig Allen