REMINDER -   next WI Distinguished Scholar Seminar will feature Christine A. Klein and is scheduled for Monday, March 31st!!  See details below.

From: Staal,Lisette M
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Cc: Staal,Lisette M
Subject: WI Distinguished Scholar Seminar - Christine Klein - March 31, 2014 4-5PM, 209 Emerson Hall

Please mark your calendars at the end of March for the next speaker in the Water Institute Distinguished Scholar Seminar series!

Speaker: Christine A. Klein, Chesterfield Smith Professor of Law, Director, LL.M. Program in Environmental & Land Use Law, University of Florida Levin College of Law

Title:  "Mississippi River Tragedies: A Century of Unnatural Disaster"

Abstract:  Many aspects of national water policy on rivers, wetlands, federal flood insurance, and flood control were forged in the Mississippi River Basin, often through trial and error. Engineers have done astounding things to bend the Mississippi River to their will: transforming over a thousand miles of roiling current into a placid staircase of water; imprisoning the flow behind walls of levees; and even forcing one of the tributaries to flow uphill. For more than a century, American law has supported these efforts. But despite our best efforts to control the river, so-called "natural disasters" continue to strike the Mississippi basin. Raging floodwaters decimate waterfront communities and dislodge everything in their path--homes, trees, livestock, even dozens of caskets at a time. The basin's history reveals that it is seductively deceptive, but dangerously misleading, to call such catastrophes "natural." Christine Klein will discuss her new book (written with co-author Sandra Zellmer) which explores how national water policy reflects and amplifies our ambivalent attitude toward nature--simultaneously revering wild watercourses and places for what they are, while working feverishly to change them into something else.