FYI... Abstract deadline for Fifteenth World Lake Conference (WLC15) in Perugia Italy.
________________________________

From: Leonard Scinto [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:43 PM
To: Shailesh Patel ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>); Serge Thomas ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>); Sklar, Fred; Elizabeth Anderson; Reddy, K. Ramesh
Cc: Leonard Scinto
Subject: FW: WLC15 Abstract Submission_Deadline (March 31, 2014)

Hello All:

I thought I would send this along to see if you can assist in identifying interested parties.  I was asked to convene a session on Freshwater in South Florida.  I would appreciate you disseminating this call and/or sending me potential contacts.  Maybe members of the Florida Lakes Management Society would be interested as well as Faculty at UF and FGCU and Scientists and Managers at the South Florida Water Management District.

Thank You for any assistance.

Len

Leonard J. Scinto, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Southeast Environmental Research Center and
Assistant Professor, Department of Earth and Environment
OE148 - SERC/FIU
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street, Miami FL 33199
Office: 305-348-1965
Fax: 305-348-4096

WLC15 (Perugia, Italy September 1 -5, 2014): Call for Abstracts!

Dear Colleagues,

The deadline for the Fifteenth World Lake Conference (WLC15) Abstracts Submission is about to expire (31st March 2014).

I invite you to submit an abstract for oral and poster presentations to this session: Session Stream 8: Governance and Management Challenges: 1. Freshwater in South Florida and the Everglades: Multiple stressors at the Natural/Urban Interface.

Selected contributions will be eligible for publication in renowned International Journals.

For more details about the submission, please visit the following website:

(WLC15 Conference Website): http://www.wlc15perugia.com/index.php/abstract-submission

Below is the Session abstract written by convener Dr. Leonard Scinto. We look forward to your contribution!

Freshwater in South Florida and the Everglades: Multiple stressors at the Natural/Urban Interface.

Pre-development, low-lying, peninsular South Florida was once home to the > 1.1 million hectare Everglades that during the wet season would cover most of the area with shallow, slowly-flowing freshwater. In the last century South Florida has developed into a major urban area with a human population of approximately 9 million and a large and important agricultural industry. This development was made possible by large-scale hydrological modifications, including approx. 2500 km of canals and levees and hundreds of water control structures, which drained the land and diverted the water.  Additionally, urban development was facilitated by the construction of approximately 17000 retention ponds and borrow-pits that dot the landscape as "urban lakes".  Multiple demands/issues affecting the freshwater resources of South Florida include: irrigation, eutrophication, flood prevention, drinking water supply, and landscape aesthetics. On-going hydrologic restoration efforts are meant to restore and protect Everglades' ecosystems while simultaneously increasing the recharge to the unconfined, shallow Biscayne aquifer, the source of drinking water to approximately 3 million people. Presentations in this session will focus on the often competing demands on freshwater for natural and urban systems.

Thank you...