Hello BESTers,

Reaching sustainability will require a complete overhaul of how we
think about resources, energy, food, and waste and their interaction
with our communities.  In Minneapolis, a community is being developed
with a focus on anaerobic digestion and sustainability.  Called PLACE,
the community will be converting its food waste to biogas for energy to
use and fertilizer to grow crops in greenhouses.  While designing
sustainable communities is nothing new (e.g. Ebenezer Howard's Garden
Cities of Tomorrow from the turn of the 20th century or Disney's EPCOT,
which stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow), there
are more and more communities, commercial areas, and industrial centers
focused on sustainability that are being realized around the globe
today.  While it is unlikely we will see a complete sustainable overhaul
of New York City or Chicago or the sprawling suburbs around much of the
county any time soon, these experimental communities will hopefully set
a positive example that will eventually become the norm.

Have a great weekend,
Ryan

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/254123221.html?page=1&c=y

Zero-waste community may sprout in St. Louis Park
Star Tribune
Mary Jane Smetanka
April 7, 2014