Hi Gustav,
I fully agree with your point. Had Chamari just sent a photo of one
specimen, I dare say that some would have replied back and written it off
as a hybrid. But with so many, could they really be the result of
hybridisation? From my eye, they look pretty similar (some almost
identical) to those pictured as *B. maculisparsa* in the chapter by Feral
and Cherbonnier (attached), although I am not saying that is the same
species as Chamari has photographed in Sri Lanka. I suspect that there may
be some sizeable populations in New Caledonia of what Cherbonnier and Feral
named *B. maculisparsa* (I had seen it years ago in some numbers at deeper
inshore sandy bottom habitats near Mont Dore, New Caledonia). Actually, I
seem to recall that Sun had 'written that off' that species as a hybrid in
an email some time ago because similar looking specimens in SE Asia came
out as hybrids from the genetic work. We were mindful of that in the recent
paper about the IUCN Red List findings, and you may have noted that *Bohadschia
maculisparsa* is actually one of the Vulnerable species. I think that some
of the aspidolisters may have found that strange and wondered why it was on
the list. The reason was that, from all data that we had, it appears to
have a very restricted distribution in a region heavily fished, and the
IUCN had to accept it as a valid species because it was on WoRMS and had no
publication that we were aware of had shown it to not be a valid species.
Time may change that but, for the moment, it is one of the threatened
species. Some great genetic work has been done on Bohadschia recently, but
I have to agree generally with Chantal that there is more work to do!
Best wishes,
Steve

--
Steven W. Purcell, Ph.D.
telephone (Noumea): +687 466808  or  +687 748882