While I don't agree with the particular wording of this particular policy,
trigger warnings absolutely should be required on syllabi for violent
sexual imagery (common in English programs) and scenes of domestic
violence, both of which are as likely to result in PTSD as veteran
experience, but much less likely than veteran experience to be diagnosed as
PTSD. A trigger warning shouldn't be an excuse to get out of class or
assignments, but it does give the person reading or watching an opportunity
to emotionally prepare themselves for material that could cause significant
distress and depression. We're not talking about "discomfort" here. We're
talking about very real, very serious emotional *and physical *complications
that can result in students dropping out. The level of insensitivity to
this issue when 1 in 5 women in our country has been a victim of rape and
when rape is more common on college campuses than the general community is
one of the reasons that we have a culture of rape in our country. "It's no
big deal. Get over it. You have to deal with uncomfortable subjects in
order to learn and grow. It's just part of life." That's very easy to say
for people who haven't experienced it or who had the opportunity and
support to get treatment, but many of our students, especially our low
income students, don't have that opportunity and have no idea that this is
what they're coming to college to read and watch. A trigger warning is *common
moral respect and decency*. It is *empathy*. It is also *acknowledgment to
possible perpetrators of sexual violence that sexual violence has real,
long-lasting results that are not acceptable.* Every single time I hear
someone say that these topics are "just part of the college experience" I
hear them saying "Your experience does not matter because it makes great
fiction." Is that really the message that you want to be sending?

If it moral sensitivity is "antithetical to college life," maybe we're
teaching the wrong things.

Larina Warnock
Developmental Studies Instructor
WH214
541-917-2311

We read to know we are not alone. -C.S. Lewis