Hi Laurie,

I am building tutoring programs at City College, and this information would
be very helpful. How would I reach you off list?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Laurie Hazard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Christie,
>
> I conducted a survey with Karin Winnard (San Jose State University) about
> seven years ago because I was looking for some national benchmark data, and
> it's just wasn't  out there.
>
> Data was collected during the 2006-2007 academic year:
>
> 78 Institutions of higher education participated in the study
>
> 43 Institutions or 55% were public
> 21 two-year schools
> 22 four-year schools
>
> 35 Institutions or 45%  were private
> 3 two-year schools
> 32 were four year schools
>
> What we found in terms of usage rates:
>
> Average Usage Based on Class Year Within Institutions:
>
> First-years     - 50.36%
> Sophomore   - 20.91%
> Junior           - 14.85%
> Senior          - 11.15%
>
> This data is based on an averages within institutions. For instance, on
> average, for students who utilized services in  centers across the country
> about 50% were first-years.  The survey did not enable us to calculate
>  that 40% of first-years used services (at the time, very few institutions
> tracked this stat),
>  yet we were able to calculate  that 50 % of students who  DID use
> services were first-years.
>
> I have lots of other data if anyone is interested.  I can send it off-list.
>
> Best,
>
> Laurie
> www.lauriehazard.com

Garri Rivkin
Program Director of Academic Support Services
for the Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership
at City College of New York;
Director of the Tutoring Programs
at City College's College Now and RAPSI;
Executive Director of The City Tutors
thecitytutors.com;