Hi Larina,
You have hit on what, in my opinion, is the most important part of
note-making ("taking" suggests transcription to me), which is decision
making. I try to teach note-making less as a method for organizing
written text or the page, and more of one about making decisions to
create a set of notes and then how  to USE those notes.
Nic
__________________________________
Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
(609)258-6921
http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/us/

Associate Director
McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning
328C Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

Individual Appointment Times:
By request

On Apr 1, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Larina Warnock wrote:

> [...]
> actually absorbing the content. I think when we write notes
> longhand, we
> don't worry so much about format and we have no visible little lines
> telling us that we did something wrong. I wonder if turning off
> grammar and
> spell check while taking notes would alter the findings at all.
>
> Larina Warnock
> Developmental Studies Instructor
> WH214
> 541-917-2311
>
> We read to know we are not alone. -C.S. Lewis
>

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Nic Voge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Like all experimental designs, the application to practice is
>> under-conceptualized, but this is an intriguing finding. It assumes
>> that
>> elaborated, organized encoding happens best at the time of
>> exposure, rather
>> than, say, after class--which is dubious--and makes no account of the
>> "life" of the notes after 30 minutes.
>>
>> Nonetheless, it speaks powerfully to docile, mindless "engagement" in
>> class.
>>
>> Best,
>> Nic
>> __________________________________
>> Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
>> (609)258-6921
>> http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/us/
>>
>> Associate Director
>> McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning
>> 328C Frist Campus Center
>> Princeton University
>> Princeton, NJ 08544
>>
>> Individual Appointment Times:
>> By request
>>

>> On Apr 1, 2014, at 9:49 AM, Norman Stahl wrote:
>>
>> March 28, 2014 by Danya Perez-Hernandez
>>>

>>> Comments (30)
>>>

>>> Taking Notes by Hand Benefits Recall, Researchers Find
>>>
>>> Distractions posed by laptops in the classroom have been a common
>>> concern, but new research suggests that even if laptops are used
>>> strictly
>>> to take notes, typing notes hinders students' academic performance
>>> compared
>>> with writing notes on paper with a pen or pencil.
>>> Daniel M. Oppenheimer, an associate professor of psychology at the
>>> University of California at Los Angeles, and Pam Mueller, a graduate
>>> student at Princeton University, studied the effects of students'
>>> note-taking preferences. Their findings will be published in a
>>> paper in
>>> Psychological Science called "The Pen Is Mightier Than the Keyboard:
>>> Advantages of Longhand Over Laptop Note-Taking."
>>> The researchers' goal was to figure out whether typing notes--
>>> which is
>>> becoming increasingly popular--has any direct effect on a
>>> students' ability
>>> to understand a lecture.
>>> In a series of studies, the researchers provided students with
>>> laptops or
>>> with pen and paper to take notes. (The computers were disconnected
>>> Internet.) Students were then tested on how well they could recall