We do an activity intended to encourage students to interact and begin to build connections as well.  We break them out into smaller groups (less than 10) and provide them with a list of sentence stems to choose from, to complete the sentence:

I registered for Yavapai College courses because....
One class I registered for this fall that I am excited about is....
One class I registered for this fall that I am nervous about is.....
One thing that will help me be successful this semester is....
This semester I will commute to campus by....
This semester I will be living with....
I think the best way to communicate with my professors is by....
I plan to check my YC student email account.....
My largest fear going into this fall semester is....
My main goal for this fall semester is....

Once student starts, and other students are encouraged to chime in.  When that topic is done, we go around the circle to the next student who chooses another sentence stem to complete, and this continues for however much time we have (we usually allow about 10 minutes).  This activity usually leads to students discovering some commonalities with other new students, perhaps introductions among students who will be in a class together, people who can create a car pool, etc.

Trisha Hartman Travis
Learning Center Director
Yavapai College, Verde Valley Campus
601 Black Hills Dr.