From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of rick-lsche
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 5:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: From Inside Higher Education...today

I applaud and support both Luann Walker's and Charlene Aldrich's comments and responses below.  We need to be careful in making assumptions about the students' purposes and goals as community college students.  When students enter a university degree program, I would assume they are seeking that degree.  Community Colleges serve many functions, to assume that all students enrolled in a developmental course are seeking a two-year degree and should complete it in four years is not a valid assumption.  I began working in the Community Colleges in Learning Assistance in 1982 and am certified to teach developmental and college-level reading, math, computer, and education courses.  I have taught developmental math courses and even worked to offer a beginning algebra class that added a fourth credit hour to focus on math anxiety issues, it had a very good record of students success measured by the goals the students stated when they started the class. Not all were planning to get a two-year or four-year degree, though many were.

Community college student goals can include the following:

ˇ         to move on from the Adult Basic Ed and GED courses to the next
level

ˇ         wanting to upgrade job skills and need the remedial course to
prepare them for the course that will do that

ˇ         wanted to improve their reading or writing skills to attain a
different goal

ˇ         are taking one or two classes a semester while working full time
in hopes that in 8 or ten years they will be able to have a college
(two-year) degree.

ˇ         didn't do well in high school and wanted to see what college was
all about

ˇ         try out different community colleges and online options for
courses they take based on convenience and current need

ˇ         determined to overcome a learning subject obstacle like math

ˇ         take some classes to be able to transfer to a university to attain
a four-year degree

ˇ         students attending who are working on their two-year degree

My own former community college states the following mission:

The Mission of Paradise Valley Community College is to educate the whole person and to serve our students and our communities by providing learning opportunities that are designed to help them achieve their goals.

PVCC provides diverse learning opportunities including:

ˇ         University transfer education

ˇ         General education

ˇ         Developmental education

ˇ         Continuing education

ˇ         Community education

ˇ         Workforce development

ˇ         Student development

ˇ         Honors education

ˇ         Global engagement

ˇ         Civic responsibility

PVCC provides access to these opportunities in a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive environment.  As a college committed to learning and continuous quality improvement, PVCC annually assesses and publishes reports concerning the effectiveness of our programs and services.

Community colleges, by design have been open door institutions providing a myriad of educational opportunities.  Without knowing a student's reasons, plans or goals in taking remedial courses at a community college, it is inappropriate to measure their success as you would a university student enrolled in a degree program. As Charlene mentioned below, some of our developmental education students worked hard to get here and are dealing daily with life obstacles we can only imagine. When not having an opportunity to attend post-secondary classes before or when no one in their family has ever attended college before, just being at the college and taking the class is a success. For some, coming to the developmental class is one hope they have in making a change, even if they are not successful on the first attempt on some of their classes.  The dedication they show to attend and make education a priority is something.  It may take someone years to get a certificate which will allow him/her to get the promotion dreamed of.  Is this not a success? For many the remedial course is the only hope of success in math as it was an obstacle all of their school life.

Any plans aimed at creating one standard to measure the success of community college students taking developmental or remedial classes is doomed to failure unless it truly accounts for the opportunities for student success that a community college can provide to support reasons, goals, and dreams.
The use of an extended timeline and an exit process in helping to assess a students' success in reaching their own educational goals can help.

I agree that there need to be some changes, beginning with how we define success for community college students.  On some campuses, the vast majority (even 75%) of developmental classes are often taught by part-time faculty
(adjunct) who are not available for office hours and may not be aware of the campuses resources. A major fix needs to be in how we view developmental education and offer the faculty the respect and support needed to be more successful in helping these courses work well as we support and help students reach their educational goals.  We can all work to help make the developmental courses be a better and working onramp to college-level courses, but that does not necessarily mean degree-seeking.

We really need to be wary of making false assumptions in determining whether a student is successful in attaining their educational goals.  Research can be such a valuable tool for making change as long as we are aware and realize the assumptions and limitations of the research study and of conclusions drawn.

Thanks.

Rick

Rick Sheets, Ed.D.

LSC Director, Paradise Valley Community College (retired)

ITTPC Coordinator, CRLA

LSCHE Co-founder & Webmaster

623-240-0528

websites: lsche.net & crla.net/ittpc <http://www.crla.net/ittpc/>