From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Hayes
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Questions about using card-swipe readers

Hi Everyone,

We are considering purchasing card swipe readers to use in our walk-in tutoring centers and supplemental instruction sessions. Our concerns are mainly about portability and cost, but we are also unclear as to what kind of data we would be able to record. Please let me know if you can address any of the following questions:

.         Are wireless units available which can be programmed to send
data to specific "centers" or "events" such as a web-based database like Tutortrac or Insight?

.         Beyond capturing a students' ID, what other data can you record?
We are especially concerned to know (e.g. in the case of a drop in center which tutors in multiple courses) what course they are coming for help with. In some cases we may not be able to use a computer to allow for additional information to be input by hand.

.         Does anyone have SI leaders using card swipe devices in
classroom based SI sessions? Are the devices programmed to file data to a specific course in the database? Any problems with SI leaders forgetting to bring them/students not using them, etc?

Any other information you might be able to provide would be most welcome.

Thank you,

David

David B. Hayes

Director, Academic Enhancement Center