I think that Kim makes a thoughtful and eloquent case for avoiding volunteer tutors.  I would also add that there is the liability issue if something inappropriate happens between the volunteer tutor and tutee, the issue of accountability if the volunteer tutor steps over the line into providing inappropriate types of support including doing part of the assignment for the student, and reliability as volunteers don't feel as bound to show up for their shifts and thus can leave students waiting.  All three situations result in a poor reputation for your center and will likely decrease the willingness of faculty to refer students to your center and students to seek help from you.

Volunteering is a great approach if you can guarantee that things will go well, but as no one can do so, I'd limit your exposure by sticking with paid tutors with a greater level of accountability and training.

There's a tremendous amount of available literature on the benefits of tutoring and some formulas to help correlate tutoring with persistence and academic success.  Check the LRNASST archives for them.  I'd spend some time reading up on them and making a case to your administration for a greater investment in your program to improve outcomes.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Director, Peer Tutoring Program
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”  By Vincent van Gogh