Hi Christie,

I conducted a survey with Karin Winnard (San Jose State University) about seven years ago because I was looking for some national benchmark data, and it's just wasn't  out there.

Data was collected during the 2006-2007 academic year:

78 Institutions of higher education participated in the study

43 Institutions or 55% were public
21 two-year schools
22 four-year schools

35 Institutions or 45%  were private
3 two-year schools
32 were four year schools

What we found in terms of usage rates:

Average Usage Based on Class Year Within Institutions:

First-years     - 50.36%
Sophomore   - 20.91%
Junior           - 14.85%
Senior          - 11.15%

This data is based on an averages within institutions. For instance, on average, for students who utilized services in  centers across the country about 50% were first-years.  The survey did not enable us to calculate  that 40% of first-years used services (at the time, very few institutions tracked this stat),
 yet we were able to calculate  that 50 % of students who  DID use services were first-years.

I have lots of other data if anyone is interested.  I can send it off-list.

Best,

Laurie
www.lauriehazard.com