Great post.  I teach study skills as part of a freshman success course on a
community college campus.  What you have written here reflects what I see
with my students and what I strive for as I help them reflect on their
academic skills and work to strengthen them.

I have found that students are often afraid to try a different approach to note
taking, even after they recognize that they need to.  In my class, I have
established some steps for students to gradually improve their note taking in a
way that feels less risky, and I also provide time for them to practice in a low-
stakes environment.  We start by taking notes they have already taken and
re-write them in a more effective way.  This can be a very enlightening
practice for students, but they still get nervous to make that big change in a
fast-paced class and find themselves falling back into old habits just to keep
up and "not miss anything."  It's a lengthy process to help students change
their note taking habits for the better, but it's something I am committed to!

I also work with a group of new teachers on campus every year, so I'd love to
see your presentation on "note-making" for teachers if you don't mind sharing.