From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joy Deleon
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chron of Higher Education

Another angle on taking notes - students with disabilities who cannot hand write notes or cannot process fast enough to take notes.  And another group
- students whose first language is something other than English.  It seems that a good practice would be for faculty to have one of the students take good notes, check them with the prof, and then post them on a class electronic bulletin board (e.g. Moodle) for all to see. (This could be considered a form of Universal Design.)  That way, those who have weak note-taking skills could see what they should look like.  Students who have holes in their notes (think students with ADHD whose minds sometimes
wander) can fill in the gaps.  Students who are non-native English speakers can see what the word really is - and look it up for future reference.

I am not advocating that students NOT take notes, but that might be the downfall of this kind of system - the students who won't take notes (and really need to) when they discover that someone else is doing it for them.

Joy

This email communication is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use, or disclose the contents of this communication to others.  Please notify the sender that you have received this email in error by replying to the email or by telephoning (608) 363-2572.  Please then delete the email and any copies of it.  Thank you.

Joy de Leon
Assistant Dean of Students
Director, Learning Enrichment and Disability Services Beloit College
700 College Street
Beloit, WI 53511
(608) 363-2572 (office)
(608) 363-7059 (fax)

Access and Inclusion are Everyone's Responsibilities.