Happy Tuesday!

For those of you who provide academic counseling or coaching, what information do you gather as part of the initial appointment?

Our office is part of Counseling and Psychological Services so our initial appointment is very similar to an appointment for personal counseling. Since students who come in for academic counseling are looking for different support and often only want one appointment, I would like to get away from such a clinical intake process. By doing so, I hope to provide students with more immediate assistance.

Our current process requires that clients:

Sign a Consent for Services form

Emergency Contact form

Permission to record form

Demographic form

Checklist of concerns (including mental health)

Take the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI)

Clients then participate in a one hour interview which includes:

Presenting concerns

Family and Social History

Educational History

Previous Counseling

Risk Assessment

Review of the LASSI results

Overview of services offered

Referrals to other offices if needed

After this 90 minute session, we set them up for ongoing academic counseling.

In order to help me make a case to change our process, I need to provide information on how other Learning Assistance departments handle the initial meeting with students.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vicki Dominick, MSEd
Assistant Director for Learning Services

Learning Services
Counseling & Psychological Services
George Mason University
Student Union Building I, Room 3129
4400 University Drive, MS 2A2
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703)993-2380

Email is not a secure form of communication.  Information and confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.  Email is not a suitable forum for communication of emergencies or crisis situations.  If you are experiencing a crisis you may call CAPS at 703-993-2380 or if it is after normal business hours call 911 or GMU police at 703-993-2810.