Yolanda and others,

If you haven't already Yolanda, you may want to take a look at offering
small group tutoring (up to 4 people) for the same course. We see the
benefit especially in our science, math,statistics, and nursing courses.
Not only does this allow you to offer more tutoring but in many ways, it
can be more effective having students working with each other to learn the
material and perhaps even form study groups outside the center.  (Note: We
do not offer writing as a group option.) Offering some of your sessions as
1/2 hour sessions if you do not already do that may also be an option.  All
our writing appointments are 1/2 hour long instead of an hour unless the
student is in a remedial class or the tutor recommends 1 hour (some of our
ESOL students benefit from that). Students also realize that they get the
most out of these sessions (and all sessions) when they are fully prepared.

Lastly, to let you know, we actually cut our writing sessions to 1/2 hour
in the middle of a semester a few years ago to accommodate an unexpected
forecast in appointments.  Students were very understanding when they
read/heard the explanation.  They were just very glad to get an appointment!

Karin

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Saundra Y McGuire <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I definitely echo Kim's and Debbie's comments.  I've had experience with
> volunteers from honor societies and the main problem was reliability.  The
> exam heavy weeks for the students (when they felt they really needed to see
> their tutor) was also exam heavy for the tutors, who would just call in to
> say that they couldn't come in that week.  And some of them didn't even
> call; they just didn't show up!  So I would also urge you to avoid that
> route if at all possible.
>
> Best,
> Saundra
>
> Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
> (Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry
> Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success
> 433 Choppin Hall
> Louisiana State University
> Baton Rouge, LA 70803
> 225.578.6749 phone

Karin E. Winnard, Assistant Director
Tutorial Programs and Student Development
Peer Connections: Mentoring and Tutoring
San Josť State University
San Josť, CA 95192
Certification Reviewer, NCLCA 2008-2012
Evaluator, International Tutor Certification Program/CRLA 1988-2008
Past President, ACCTLA (1990-93)
(408) 924-3346

*We teach skills. We tutor content. We transform lives.*

GET OUT! of your comfort zone and into your learning zone!