NetworkX (Python) minimum_spanning_tree uses Kruskal's algorithm which
runs in O(E log V) time:

http://networkx.github.io/documentation/development/reference/algorithms.mst.html

In Python there are also implementations of Prim's algorithm (which
using fib heaps rums in O(E+V log V) time) but they're often done
through numpy which makes them much slower (always depending on the
size of your network). For instance:

http://peekaboo-vision.blogspot.gr/2012/02/simplistic-minimum-spanning-tree-in.html

--Moses