On 14-04-2014 11:24, Loet Leydesdorff wrote:

> Dear Marianna and Prabir:
>
> Diana Lucio-Arias & Loet Leydesdorff, Main-path analysis and
> path-dependent transitions in HistCite(tm)-based historiograms [1],
> _Journal of the American Society for Information Science and
> Technology _59(12), 1948-1962, 2008 <pdf-version [2]>; <software [3]>
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.1454 [4]
>
> Best,
>
> Loet

   Instead of main path I prefer to use critical path method (CPM).
   The main path method is based on a greedy heuristic while CPM
determines
   the path with the largest sum of all its weights.
   Another option is to determine the line island(s) - a subnetwork with
   the strongest links. It usually contains the main path and CPM path.

   http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-10745-0_57
   http://pajek.imfm.si/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=dl:gfkl_305.pdf

   best,   Vlado

--
Vladimir Batagelj
  University of Ljubljana, FMF, Department of Mathematics