HomeCall For PapersProgramVenueContactsPrevious Editions
Modern life is infused with a myriad of gadgets and new technologies that are quickly becoming online extensions of our offline lives. How we interact with others, where we are and where we go are all facets that are increasingly captured with ever greater detail by our online tools and gadgets. The digital traces constantly produced by these tools create hitherto unseen possibilities for the study of human behavior, but also pose their own challenges. The avalanche of data we are witnessing demands new tools and concepts to be analyzed and the new problems that are within our reach demand new algorithms and models to be developed.

This workshop aims to bring together practitioners of both computer science and social science so that both may better understand the challenges faced by each other and how best they may collaborate to overcome them.

Topics of Interest:

Topics include, but are not limited to
Social Modeling, Theories and Analytics
Dynamics and Evolution of Social Systems
Social and Behavioral Changes
Online Social Movements
Collective Behavior
Human Dynamics
Voter Behavior
Measures, metrics in characterization of Social Networks
Digital Epidemiology
Human mobility, models and data
Analysis of Proxy Data
Prediction and Prediction Markets (Wisdom of Crowds)
Mixed Methods and Methodologies
combining reactive and non-reactive, obtrusive and unobtrusive research methods for exploring social phenomena
for collecting and storing social datasets to make research results reproducible and verifiable
for analyzing biased, selective and incomplete social data on the Web
for preserving individuals' privacy while studying social phenomena
Algorithms, Tools and Applications
that analyze social data
that allow to capture social data
that exploit social science findings and theories (e.g., tools that detect and prevent mobbing or depressive behavior online)

Submissions: We solicit short research and demo papers (up to 4 pages), long research papers (up to 8 pages) and extended abstracts (max 2 pages with one illustration/figure). To account for the publishing practice of social scientists and physicists, we will also accept short papers and extended abstract that has already been or will be published in a journal.

Paper submissions must be written in English. Use the ACM SIG Proceedings template (Full and short papers: latex template / Word template; Extended Abstracts: word template / latex template ). The review process will be single-blind (i.e., submissions do not need to be anonymized). All papers must be submitted electronically through the EasyChair submission page.

Submission Deadline: May 2 (Extended)
Acceptance Notification: May 20

Invited Speakers:
Yong-Yeol Ahn, Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing
Ciro Cattuto, ISI Foundation
Brian Keegan, Northeastern University
Filippo Radicchi, Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing

Organizers (Alphabetical):
Andrea Baronchelli, Department of Mathematics, City University London, UK
Noshir Contractor, SONIC Lab, Northwestern University, USA
Emilio Ferrara, School of Informatics and Computing, Indiana University, USA
Bruno Gonçalves, Centre Physique Thèorique, Aix-Marseille Universitè, France
Nicola Perra, MoBS Lab, Northeastern University, USA
Markus Strohmaier, Web Science Dep., University of Koblenz, Germany
Claudia Wagner, Computational Social Science Dep., GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Germany

PC Members (Alphabetical):
Luca Maria Aiello, Yahoo! Research Barcelona
Harith Alani, The Open University
Sitaram Asur, HP Labs
Alain Barrat, Aix-Marseille Université, France
Ciro Cattuto, ISI Foundation
Ed Chi, Google Research
Munmun De Choudhury, Microsoft Research
Santo Fortunato, Aalto University
Daniel Gayo-Avello, University of Oviedo
Andrew Gordon, The University of Southern California
Paul Groth, VU University of Amsterdam
Kristina Lerman, University of Southern California
Vera Liao, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Jared Lorince, Indiana University
Elaheh Momemi, University of Vienna
Claudia Müller-Birn, FU Berlin
Bruno Ribeiro, Carnegie Mellon, USA
Rossano Schifanella, University of Turin, Italy
Philipp Singer, Graz University of Technology
Steffen Staab, University of Koblenz-Landau, DE
Katrin Weller, GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Arkaitz Zubiaga, Dublin Institute of Technology

Noshir Contractor

Jane S. & William J. White Professor of Behavioral Sciences
Northwestern University

To schedule appointments, please check my availability at http://tinyurl.com/noshcal
For assistance, please see http://tinyurl.com/noshcalhelp