Personally I think retirement is over rated.  It is more important to stay healthy and control your own time than retire.  Also it is a myth that you can retire and live on less money than you can while working.  After trying to retire three times I am a failure.  What you do realize very quickly, is there is significant age discrimination in the work place, Experience and knowledge only goes so far to off set that bias attitude. The key is to plan and have accepable contingency plans.

Robert