Hi,
  As I said in my original post on this subject, "hind sight's the best sight." However that's only if you have all of the relevant information. I've just learned from Angel Abreu that the old buttonwood tree collapsed onto the old fountain. So its removal wasn't caused by unthinking humans but the forces of nature. I hope this will end the subject and quell any calls for action against NPS folks or others.

  I failed to mention that Gallus Quigley and I had what we're hoping will be an accepted sighting of a Bicknell's Thrush. The bird had all of the right field marks and many good photos were taken to bolster the claim. But of course wasn't vocalizing. And where else but Fort Jeff could you see a Purple Gallinule in the middle of a sea grape tree as a Bay-breasted Warbler flitted around nearby?

David Hartgrove
Daytona Beach, FL