Hello-

SO a friend and colleague is starting to think about doing some network studies of intellectuals, their groups, and ideas or concepts.

FOr example, in a period, there are intellectuals who have relations due to co-membership in journals, schools, universities, and so on.  That is a first bimodal network of groups by persons.  Second, he wants to look at a topic like baking (not his topic) and how it emerges in one journal/person cluster and perhaps "moves' over time to others.  Like a diffusion study.

A question in my head is if the the people, groups and concepts can be one big bimodal network?  Or, can we have "trimodal" networks of three kinds of objects?

Are there models of how to study this kind of question that is at the intersection of social structure and meaning-making/cultural dynamics.

THANK YOU!

Jordi

--
Jordi Comas

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin

Assistant Professor
School of Management
Bucknell University
Taylor 112
570 577 3161

Research and Writing Blog: Nets We Weave