Dear Jordi et al.,

I would think this domain is very similar, or just the same, as what is now
called "the analysis of multilevel networks" where mostly we talk about
multi-mode (rather than multi-modal) networks. Search for the term
"multilevel" or "multi-level" and also "two-mode" and "multi-mode" in the
abstracts of the 2014 Sunbelt. The EUSN conference of next month in
Barcelona has a session on multilevel networks chaired by Mark Tranmer and
Francesca Pallotti.
Some relevant papers for your example about intellectuals and ideas are
Roth, C., Cointet, J.P., 2010. Social and semantic coevolution in knowledge
networks.
Social Networks 32, 16–29.
Lazega, Emmanuel, et al. "Catching up with big fish in the big pond?
Multi-level network analysis through linked design." *Social Networks* 30.2
(2008): 159-176.

Best,
Tom

Tom A.B. Snijders
Professor of Statistics and Methodology, Dept of Sociology, University of
Groningen
Professor of Statistics in the Social Sciences, University of Oxford
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~snijders