Dear Jordi,

As a matter of fact, I have just completed my thesis on similar issues, for
which we use a multiplex network approach.
Initial works have been published at last year's ASONAM:

*Benjamin Renoust, Guy Melançon, and Marie-Luce Viaud. "Assessing group
cohesion in homophily networks", ACM/IEEE 2013 Advances in Social Network
Analysis and Mining (ASONAM), Niagara Falls, Canada, Aug. 2013 *
The complete work can be found in my thesis
*Benjamin Renoust,  Analysis and Visualisation of Edge Entanglement in
Multiplex Networks, Bordeaux University, Dec. 2013*

You can find all this information and papers at this page
http://www.labri.fr/perso/renoust

best

--
Benjamin