Hello,

We are inviting academic contributors to the SAGE Encyclopedia of Big Data, a multivolume reference work to be published by SAGE Reference in 2016.

As a phenomenon and discipline developed only in the past several years, Big Data can be described as the collection, manipulation, and analysis of massive amounts of data—and the decisions made from that analysis. According to the New York Times, Big Data “is the shorthand label for the phenomenon, which embraces technology, decision-making and public policy…. First, it is a bundle of technologies. Second, it is a potential revolution in measurement. And third, it is a point of view, or philosophy, about how decisions will be—and perhaps should be—made in the future.” Moreover, Big Data is affecting and will affect almost all fields of study, from criminology to philosophy, business, government, transportation, energy, genetics, medicine, physics, and more.

As we tackle Big Data in this proposed encyclopedia, we objectively report on the negative effects of loss of privacy, surveillance, and possible misuse of data in trade-offs for security. On the other hand, it is Big Data that is helping us to peer into the human genome for invaluable medical insights, or to reach deep across the universe, discovering planets much like our own. Our mission with this encyclopedia is to capture the Big Data phenomenon and make it accessible to students examining the philosophy of decision-making; exploring the measurement revolution; studying the technology; and considering the potential, both for good and ill.

The encyclopedia features approximately 850 entries organized A-Z across multiple volumes. The encyclopedia will be available in a choice of electronic or print formats. Each 1,000- to 4,000-word article will be signed by the contributor. The General Editors, who will be reviewing each submission to the project, are Drs. Laurie A. Schintler and Connie L. McNeely, George Mason University.

We are currently making assignments with a deadline of September 1, 2014.

If you are interested in contributing to this cutting-edge reference, it is a unique opportunity to contribute to the contemporary literature, redefining sociological issues in today’s terms. Moreover, it can be a notable publication addition to your CV/resume and broaden your publishing credits. SAGE Publications offers an honorarium ranging from SAGE book credits for smaller articles up to a free set of the printed product for contributions totaling 10,000 words or more.

The list of available articles is already prepared, and as a next step we will e-mail you the Article List (Excel file) from which you can select topics that best fit your expertise and interests. Additionally, Style and Submission Guidelines and a sample article will be provided that detail article specifications.

If you would like to contribute to building a truly outstanding reference with The SAGE Encyclopedia of Big Data, please contact me by the e-mail information below. Please provide your CV or a brief summary of your academic/publishing credentials in related disciplines.

Thank you very much,

Zoe Andrews, Author Manager

Zoe Andrews
Author Manager, Golson Media