Matthew,

Not an academic article, but we ran a bunch of different clustering algos on a simple 16 node network... got a variety of results, with no outcome obviously better than the rest (when reviewed by a combo of math/CS/NS/OB/HR folks).  Everyone did like the overlapping clusters better -- “more like real life” was the consensus.

http://www.thenetworkthinkers.com/2013/11/making-sense-of-emergent-patterns-in.html

Can’t remember which algo goes with which figure... you would probably want to re-run the calcs for your own paper anyway.

Valdis Krebs
Orgnet, LLC
Cleveland, OH USA