Today, 6/27, I was part of a crew working on building a better barrier around the Least Tern colony on Disappearing Island. I was scanning the nearby group of 220 Least Terns, 64 Royal Terns, 40 Sandwich Terns and 3 Common Terns when I found another (one of the same?) Roseate Tern on Disappearing Island, Ponce de Leon Inlet, Volusia County. This time the bird allowed much closer approach. In the photos, you can see the very long tail, long all black bill with some slight reddish at the base of the bill, reddish-orange legs and in flight the tail showed no dark outer web in the outer tail feathers (as in Common and Arctic Tern) and no dark inner webs on the tail feathers (as in Forster's Tern). Also note the very little contrast between the white tail and rump and the pale gray of the back.

On another note some birds are beginning to be on the move. Wednesday morning there was a group of 18 White Pelicans on Disappearing Island at dawn. Also, a few days ago, a flock of 20 Black-necked Stilts flew south down the Halifax River at the Dunlawton Bridge in Port Orange, Volusia Co.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL