Perhaps not exactly what do you want but you may take a look at these two
papers:

Eagle, N.; Macy, M. & Claxton, R. Network Diversity and Economic
Development Science, 2010, 328, 1029-1031

look at the network diversity across UK regions and link it with economic
development.

Toomet, O.; van der Leij, M. J. & Rolfe, M. Social Networks and Labor
Market Inequality between Ethnicities and Races Network Science, 2013, 1,
321-352

we look at network segregation and labor market inequalities across US and
Estonian regions.

There are also papers by Vincent Blondel about Belgium, for instance

Blondel, V. Regions and borders of mobile telephony in Belgium and in the
Brussels Metropolitan zone Université catholique de Louvain, 2010

where they look at the Vallonian-Flemish segregation in networks.

I have to say that your idea sounds very interesting to me :-)
Cheers,
Ott

--
Ott Toomet