Perhaps not exactly what do you want but you may take a look at these two papers:

Eagle, N.; Macy, M. & Claxton, R. Network Diversity and Economic Development Science, 2010, 328, 1029-1031

look at the network diversity across UK regions and link it with economic development.

Toomet, O.; van der Leij, M. J. & Rolfe, M. Social Networks and Labor Market Inequality between Ethnicities and Races Network Science, 2013, 1, 321-352

we look at network segregation and labor market inequalities across US and Estonian regions.

There are also papers by Vincent Blondel about Belgium, for instance

Blondel, V. Regions and borders of mobile telephony in Belgium and in the Brussels Metropolitan zone Université catholique de Louvain, 2010

where they look at the Vallonian-Flemish segregation in networks.

I have to say that your idea sounds very interesting to me :-)
Cheers,
Ott