*** Sorry for any cross-posting! ***
8th International Research Workshop "Methods for PhD" near Flensburg, September 28-October 3, 2014
Empirical research is seeking through methodological processes to discover, hopefully, nontrivial facts and insights. Beside choosing a topic and grounding an idea in theory, empirical research consists of gathering and analysing data as well as presenting results in scientific contexts in order to contribute new issues to the body of acquired knowledge - not only to someone‘s own but also to that of others.
Our workshop tackles these steps of your research project:
- Gathering data via (un)structured interviews and analysing standardized survey data,
- using the computer for qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
These steps will strengthen the cooperation in empirical research to boost and streamline ones project.
The regular workshop fee is 399 Euro (including meals and accommodation). The workshop fee is 249 Euro without accomodation at Sankelmark (only meals are included).
It is possible to get a certificate on 5 credit points (according to the European Credit Transfer System).
In detail the following courses will be offered:
Parallel Courses in the morning (September 28-October 1):
- Data Analysis with R
- Data Analysis with Stata
- Qualitative Research Methodology and Design Strategy
- Expert Interviews
- Introduction to German Data Sets
Parallel Courses in the afternoon (September 28-October 1):
- Spatial and Panel Econometrics
- Questionnaire Design
- Qualitative Compartive Analysis (QCA) and Fuzzy Sets
- Structural Equation Modelling with R
- Case Study Research
Parallel Courses at the SDU (October 2):
- Introduction to MaxQDA
- Network Analysis
- Mixed Methods
- Academic Writing
- Theoretical and Applied Aspects of Survey Sampling
PLEASE notice that every course has just a certain amount of participants!
The International Research Workshop is organised by
- Prof. Dr. Wenzel Matiaske, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, Helmut-Schmidt-University/University of Federal Armed Forces and Research Professor at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin)
- Asst. Prof. Dr. Simon Fietze, Department of Border Region Studies, University of Southern Denmark, Campus Sønderborg
- Dr. Heiko Stüber, Institute for Employment Research (IAB), The Research Institute of the Federal Employment Agency in Nuremberg
The workshop is supported by
- Vidensregion/Wissensregion Syddanmark * Schleswig-Holstein (Interreg 4A)
- University of Flensburg
- University of Hamburg, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
- University of Hamburg, School of Business
- Leuphana University Lüneburg, Faculty of Economics
- GESIS - Leibniz Institute of the Social Sciences
- Werkstatt für Personal- und Organisationsforschung e.V.
- German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) at the DIW Berlin
28 September - 3 October 2014
Akademie Sankelmark, Flensburg (Germany)
University of Southern Denmark, Sønderborg (Denmark)