Hi,
  It turns out that my conjecture as to the origins of the satellite tagged Brown Pelican that J W Callis posted on 8/13 were incorrect. Billy Brooks, of the USF&W office in Jacksonville, sent me the following information and asked that I post it here. Another example of technology helping us monitor bird populations.

The South Carolina Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit tagged 60+ Brown Pelicans in FL, TX, and LA during the 2013 and 2014 breeding seasons. All birds were breeding adults. Our objective was to determine foraging areas during the breeding season, wintering locations as well as migratory paths, associations with oil infrastructure in LA and TX, and foraging site fidelity. We deployed NorthStar satellite tags as well as Cell tower tags. The satellite tags have sloped fronts. All tags were attached using a backpack harness designed for pelicans and all tags met the standard Bird Banding Lab requirement, not weighing more than 3% of body mass. Even though we know where our birds are, observations like this and especially those accompanied with photos are very helpful. You can email any observations of photos of tagged birds to me [log in to unmask]

There is additional information about the project here:
https://sites.google.com/a/g.clemson.edu/jlamb/brown-pelican-tracking-project

David Hartgrove
Daytona Beach, FL