***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Safety, effectance and status change and are constantly affected by others in the network. This is "obvious" for status. But the sense of safety is also strongly affected by the ego network. Although safety is a primitive need, one's network, even in the second order zone can enhance or destroy it. Effectance -- reaching out to others -- learned at age six or earlier in various degrees by different people can be extinguished or rewarded by one's network. "Chemistry" of teams is therefore critical since the team network has consequences for individual motivation. I didn't say much about this in my book, but like so many important things, as Duncan Watts has observed, are "obvious" once you know the answer. So individuals are not molecules, as Bruno Latour has emphasized (perhaps over emphasized in claiming the distinction between individuals and social systems is specious).