Daryl,

We are working on open source software that does this. It is called EgoWeb 2.0 and I am currently developing it for an intervention for formerly homeless residents of a housing project in Los Angeles (an R34 through NIDA). Case managers are using EgoWeb to conduct personal network interviews and show the network to new residents as part of a motivational interview.  The same type of intervention could be done in a variety of settings, including clinicians and patients.

The visualization allows emphasizing compositional characteristics of networks as well as structural. For example you can make colors/shapes/size of nodes based on answers to questions about the alters or the structural position of the alter in the network. You can also color/size lines based on relationship characteristics.  Interviewers/case managers/ clinicians can also add notes about specific nodes or can add notes onto the graph.  We are working on a feature that allows graphs from previous sessions to be available to show and compare to the current session graph.

Here is some information:   http://www.rand.org/methods/egoweb.html (some of the info has not be updated recently). As you can see EgoWeb has already been used for many data collection efforts but this is the first time it is being used for an intervention.

The software runs on webservers and iPads. You can also put it onto an individual machine without using a webserver.  The iPad app collects the data then syncs the data to the server after the interview is completed and wipes it off the iPad. That is the only function of the iPad (no questionnaire authoring functions).

You can download EgoWeb from Github:  https://github.com/qualintitative/egoweb.

I have been working on some documentation for how to use it.  Things are somewhat in flux because I am trying to finish the programming on my R34 grant. But this should give you an idea:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lq1WOWhiV1nGOQnnQ3gtTkSyfURn_5eoIjYMNxVPntM/pub

Also I created a Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/712190238825730/

And a twitter account:  @egoweb2_0.

You can also contact me directly (email, phone) if you want to discuss further.

dave

David P. Kennedy
RAND Corporation
(310) 393-0411, Ext. 6133