I may also have caught a glimpse of a Short-tailed Hawk (dark morph) some time between the first and second time I, Shirley and Juanita bumped into you, Roy. I saw it across the creek, from the boardwalk, east of the canoe deck. The Blue Jays and cardinals put up quite a commotion. I didn't mention anything to the ladies, as they were further along the boardwalk and then Shirley spied that Prothonotary Warbler, which was a lifer for me (if you can believe it!). So it slipped my mind until I was going over the morning for my blog.

Christopher Ferro
Brevard County

________________________________
 From: Roy Book <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:45 PM
Subject: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Possible Short-tail Hawk at Turkey Creek, Palm Bay, Brevard County

Fewer birds today but still a good morning. Out over the large field I observed a Hawk flying low and away from me that I'm fairly sure was a Short-Tail dark morph.  Basing call on color, wing beat, up turned wing tips and under wing pattern.  Migrant sightings:

American Redstart(4)
Black and White (3)
Black-Throated Blue (5)
Cape May (3)
Chestnut-Sided
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Parula (5)
Ovenbird (3)
Yellow-Throated
Prarie and Prothonotary seen by Shirly Hills
Indigo Bunting (f)
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (2)
White-eyed Vireo (2)
Red-eyed Vireo (3)