Julie,

Here is a network map of TB spreading in a community.  The map is from actual contact tracing data in the community gathered by the CDC.  The CDC is currently using this approach in Ohio where one of the Ebola infectious nurses(who had treated a visitor to Dallas who had Ebola and died) travelled recently.

http://www.thenetworkthinkers.com/2013/11/mapping-contagions-with-social-network.html

The PDF in the blog post explains how/why the CDC uses network analysis to go along with contact tracing to track diseases that spread via human contact.

Valdis Krebs
Orgnet, LLC
http://orgnet.com
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdis_Krebs