Hi John,

Harrison White, who has been involved in the development of social
network analysis, built a set of concepts that are similar in some
aspects to those of chemistry.

In chapter 5 of "Identity and control" ("Institutions and Rhetorics"),
he wrote :

"Control and production, analogous to temperature and force-gradients,
are the impetuses to social process. Both the social analogue to
space and the analogue to molecule are emergent and negotiable; they
are context and identity established by chance."

and

"The continuing joint reproduction of a market
profile binds producers such that their ensemble becomes treated by
themselves and others as a player. This player is a molecule in which
constituent firms are bound as atoms. Yet also, this is a player with an
identity, a player that participants and observers alike speak of as taking
action, and which guides interpretations. Embedding is defined in
and by this process. Each production market is thus also a folk theory
that reproduces itself out of the continuing perceptions and actions of
all participants in a market. The market is an actor with a different
ontology from firms, whose actions are clearly on a different level."

So he seems to have added to the social network analysis some sort of
equivalent of molecules.

Michel Grossetti

Le 03/10/2014 03:43, John McCreery a écrit :
> One colleague replying privately to my most recent message writes,
>
> "dunno. i reckon we'd get on as humans. dunno what it would add to the
> busienss, but..."
>

> The obvious response is the question, "Must it add to the business?"
> Knowledge for knowledge's sake is not a bad thing, and there is always
> the possibility that someone else will find a way to apply the results
> of basic research. In this case, however, I think that we can do a bit
> better than that.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, which is limited, applications of network
> analysis to business usually come down to overlaying network diagrams
> on maps of the business units into which an organization or market is
> divided. It is then possible to quickly identify actors in bridging
> positions who may either facilitate or become bottlenecks to
> communication between the units in question. Alternatively, the
> overlay may reveal an absence of communication between units that is
> hampering business development. So far, so good. But suppose the
> question is how to staff a project team with the goal of creating
> something new, which entails creating relationships that do not yet
> exist either in the formal organization chart or in the network
> diagram. Choosing the members of a team is now a matter of art, in
> which the director of a project thinks of who might be good for a
> certain role, assesses the level of talent or skill that they bring to
> the table, checks their availability and then reaches out to them (or
> to their bosses, who must sign off on their new engagement).
>
> But let's be more concrete. When I was working for the Japanese agency
> that once employed me, my clients were often large international
> companies with, however, only a small presence in Japan. When agencies
> pitched for their business, they were shown reels of exceptional work
> produced by the agency's stars. Then, having chosen an agency, they
> find that the stars are not assigned to their team, except, perhaps,
> in a distant advisory role. If they ask why, the answer is clear. If
> their budget is only a tenth of what their Japanese competitor is
> spending and the stars are already committed to other projects, they
> must work with teams composed of second or third-tier veterans or
> newcomers who have not yet achieved a stellar reputation. The work
> that they produce is often second-rate.
>
> Asked by foreign executives what they should do if they find
> themselves in this situation, I suggested that they look at the
> newcomer awards in advertising annuals and request that one or more of
> these rising stars be assigned to their teams. Now, having studied
> network analysis, I can offer another possibility. Identify successful
> teams, i.e., those whose work is judged worthy of appearing in an
> annual, then look for individuals who appear as members of several
> different successful teams over a span of years, who have not yet won
> [...]

Michel Grossetti
LISST-Cers
UTM
5 allées A. Machado