John
Your query has much to do with my interest in sna in the first place. There
is little substantive material to support the performance of organizations.
Certainly there is not much of a scientific nature. This is at the base of
the "next big idea problem". Not that this seems to bother too many people.
There is an interesting dialog, Aldrich being at the center (
http://amzn.com/1412910471), about the legitimacy of organizations. This is
mostly of the "famous philosopher"-type, with no valid evidence or useful
experimentation. My work has been to operationalize his legitimacy model
using a combination of factors that are widely-validated, including
statistical process control and sna. This is the methods-based management
approach (http://amzn.com/1934269581). Cognitive legitimacy and
sociopolitical legitimacy are the two main factors, which I associate with
fluidity and immersion.
I have long felt that schools of management should be repositioned within
the field of ecology. We know more scientifically about how beavers build
their dams than how organizations function, and could function. As the
physicists have pointed out that many people believe that it is "turtles
all the way down" from the earth to the foundations of life. Business
people think it is surveys all the way down.
Hope this helps.
Ken

--
Kenneth Tingey, Ph.D., MBA, Master of Pacific International Affairs
My background: www.linkedin.com/in/kentingey

Entail errata: http://profundities.info/entail

This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not an addressee or otherwise authorized to receive this
message, you should not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on
this e-mail or any information contained in the message. If you have
received this material in error, please advise the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete this message.