John
Your query has much to do with my interest in sna in the first place. There is little substantive material to support the performance of organizations. Certainly there is not much of a scientific nature. This is at the base of the "next big idea problem". Not that this seems to bother too many people. There is an interesting dialog, Aldrich being at the center (http://amzn.com/1412910471), about the legitimacy of organizations. This is mostly of the "famous philosopher"-type, with no valid evidence or useful experimentation. My work has been to operationalize his legitimacy model using a combination of factors that are widely-validated, including statistical process control and sna. This is the methods-based management approach (http://amzn.com/1934269581). Cognitive legitimacy and sociopolitical legitimacy are the two main factors, which I associate with fluidity and immersion.
I have long felt that schools of management should be repositioned within the field of ecology. We know more scientifically about how beavers build their dams than how organizations function, and could function. As the physicists have pointed out that many people believe that it is "turtles all the way down" from the earth to the foundations of life. Business people think it is surveys all the way down.
Hope this helps.
Ken