Dear John,

You ask for pointers to recent work in the same spirit. I think that the recent article by Lomi and Stadtfeld is a good read in this respect. Since it is in a little-known journal, let me make a plug for it.
Alessandro Lomi and Christoph Stadtfeld (2014). Social Networks and Social Settings: Developing a Coevolutionary View. KZfSS Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie, 66, 395-415.
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11577-014-0271-8.

Abstract (partial):
One way to think about social context is as a sample of alters. To understand individual action, therefore, it matters greatly where these alters may be coming from, and how they are connected. According to one vision, connections among
alters induce local dependencies—emergent rules of social interaction that generate
endogenously the observed network structure of social settings. Social selection
is the decision of interest in this perspective. According to a second vision, social
settings are collections of social foci—physical or symbolic locales where actors
meet. Because alters are more likely to be drawn from focused sets, shared social
foci are frequently considered as the main generators of network ties, and hence of
setting structure. Affiliation to social foci is the decision of central interest in this
second view. In this paper we show how stochastic actor–oriented models (SAOMs)
originally derived for studying the dynamics of multiple networks may be adopted
to represent and examine these interconnected systems of decisions (selection and
affiliation) within a unified analytical framework.

Cheers, happy reading,
Tom

Tom A.B. Snijders
Professor of Statistics and Methodology, Dept of Sociology, University of Groningen
Professor of Statistics in the Social Sciences, University of Oxford
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~snijders