Hello BESTers,

Next week is Food Recovery Week, and at a most appropriate time, right
before the holidays, when food waste is at its worst.  While long-time
BESTers may be familiar with the information in the link below, this may
be something interesting to pass along to family, friends, and
co-workers.

Thanks to fellow BESTer, Kathleen Pagan, for forwarding the following
message to me from an EPA listserve.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

Food Recovery Week (Nov. 17-21)

Most people don't realize how much food they throw away every day from
uneaten leftovers to spoiled produce. More than 96 percent of the food
we throw away ends up in landfills. In 2011, we landfilled more than 36
million tons of food waste. Once in landfills, food breaks down to
produce methane, a potent greenhouse gas which contributes to climate
change.

There are many ways you can reduce food waste, for example:
Shop your refrigerator first! Cook or eat what you already have at home
before buying more.
Plan your menu before you go shopping and buy only those things on your
menu.
Buy only what you realistically need and will use. Buying in bulk only
saves money if you are able to use the food before it spoils.
Compost food scraps rather than throwing them away.
...and more!

November 17 - 21 is Food Recovery Week. More information and tips about
reducing food waste:
http://www2.epa.gov/recycle/reducing-wasted-food-basics